On Jul 8, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Daniel Stewart wrote:

> IBM deskstars are known for hardware failure and used to be nicknamed
> deathstars because of it.

The so-called 'DeathStar' drives were pretty well limited to the 40-60 GB drive
series. IBM later sold their hard drive business to Hitachi, who still sell
them under the 'DeskStar' name.

The 'click of death' is a very common hard drive failure mode across all models
of hard drive.

Every drive manufacturer has had some model lines that had QC and/or design
issues; no drive manufacturer is uniformly bad. You cannot make the blanket
statement that 'Oh all those <insert manufacturer name here> drives are
horrible.'

Google's studies of drive failure are the best data we have,
<http://tinyurl.com/2bfcgfp>, the rest of the stuff I can find is exemplified
by things like this <http://tinyurl.com/36x6vqo> which is quite possibly the
stupidest experimental design for a "statistical survey" I've ever seen.

I didn't know Iomega made hard drives...

IBM's (and later Hitachi's) DeskStar and TravelStar series were (and are)
decent drives, but hard drives fail, period...they're mechanical devices heir
to all the wear and woes of mechanical devices, and one that's been kicking
along since 2002 has had a long and useful life, for a consumer drive.

We have drives on servers that have been around since then, and are still
working, but those are also on systems that we're afraid to shut down, because
they probably won't come back up, and they were $500 enterprise SCSI-3 drives.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona