----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Goodbye Power Macs! Or: Linux on Power Macs
Date:    Montag 12 Juli 2010N
From:    Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> I think Ubuntu is most like OS X, but it isn't officially supported
> for PPC. While it's not officially supported by Canonical, there are
> community builds for PPC that are usually up-to-date.

That's what I used first on my G4 MDD. Worked well with my Radeon 9000.

> You can boot the
> "live" CD or DVD and see if it works for you? The nVidia card should
> have proprietary drivers available. I'm not sure about the ATI.

Well, the proprietary drivers are available for x86 and nowerdays also for
amd64, but not for ppc or ppc64. And they never will be.

That's the glitch. Since companies understand their “Linux support” as
“Linux/x86 support” there are some set-backs on PowerPCs.

The Radeon 9000 Pro is well supported by the open source drivers. Don't know
about the others. For nVidia I only got the unaccellerated driver called nv
running, and it is slow. Thus, desktop for text applications: yes, but no
multimedia or any of the free games will work to you satisfaction.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250