On 7/13/10 3:02 PM, Eric Volker wrote:

I have three main reasons for wanting to run Linux on my G5. Firstly, as
someone else said I want an OS with recent software and updates.
Secondly, I want a server class OS that I can set up services like NFS,
Samba, rsync, DHCP and DNS without paying Apple for the privilege of
well as being a pain to deal with (or at least so I've heard). Thirdly,
I like tinkering with computers and Linux, which I've been using on an
amateur basis since the 1990's. This G5 was semi-retired, and sat in the
living room only occasionally playing music, movies or music.

I have a G4 DA running OS X 10.4 as my main server. It has about 2Tb of storage via a SATA card. It has DHCP (ISC), DNS (ISC) and SMB (Tiger standard) running on it. Some day I'll get NFS running on it. I use WebMin to administer DHCP and DNS.

I've successfully loaded Ubuntu 10.04 PowerPC 64-bit on my G5, and so
far it's doing well. I haven't had much time to experiment, but have a
basic desktop loaded. Unlike the x86 version, there is  no hardware 3d
graphics acceleration or eye candy, though the desktop is still
attractive in a 2d fashion. Totem won't play video unless launched from
the command line (?!?), audio was a bit tricky get to my external
speakers (as opposed to the internal speaker.) It's been a much better
experience than Fedora, which I never could get to the desktop.

Between YDL, Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu I'd have to say that Ubuntu has been the best experience to date, on a PPC Mac or (non-Mac) Intel box.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA