Thanks everyone for the great response.
The soldering Len mentioned was enough for me to forget about the
option of putting the DA's processor into the Gigabit.
And then, today I discovered that original 400MHz processors for the
Gigabit can be found on ebay for less than 15$, so I decided to simply
get one of those. That is, IF...

yes, IF I can get the Sonnet upgrade to work in the Digital Audio!
Because I just put it in and the DA didn’t start up at all. I mean,
HDs etc are running, but no picture on the screen.

1. I have closely followed the instructions in a Sonnet document
called "encore_st_g4_no_sink_qsg.pdf", so I’m wondering what I have
missed?

2. For the time being, I've put the DA's own 466MHz back, but I'm not
feeling very easy about the stuff between processor and heat sink,
though.
The Sonnet document doesn't talk about that at all. Any advice on
that?

3. I installed Temperature Monitor to keep an eye on the CPU, but it
gives me only the temperature of the harddisk.

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day...