On Oct 15, 2010, at 9:46 PM, Powermac wrote:

Is there a difference on the motherboards on the single and dual G4
Quicksilvers? Can you go from single to dual or the other way with no
problems?

No difference. Dual processor support was added for real, and for good somewhere in the gigabit ethernet series. The capability to support dual processors is in the Grand Central LSI chip, which is not on the processor card but is on the back of the motherboard.

Currently I have a QS2002 single G4-800 with no L3 cache that is about
half as slow as my QS2001 with a Sonnet single G4-1.25ghz with 2MB L3.
So I was thinking of getting a dual G4 chip and installing it into the
QS2002.

You will need at least the dual 1.0 G4 plus its heat sink (a single G4 heat sink cannot be mounted on a dual G4 processor) plus its cooler (if you don't already have a cooler). The heat sink clips are identical.

If buying a third party solution, all of those items mentioned should be included in the third party package.

A dual processor card may be added to a QS 2001 or a DA, and all you lose (over the QS 2002) is the capability to address large drives, but which capability may be added quite easily using the LBA48 property patch.