----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Differences between single and dual G4 Quicksilvers
Date:    Samstag 16 Oktober 2010N
From:    Peter Haas <peterh...@cruzio.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> The way Apple designed the dual 800 and dual 1000 board, although
> using the same raw board, it is not possible to speed up (change from
> 800 to 1000) for down speed (change from 1000 to 800) a processor card.

Sorry, I don't understand this sentence.
… it is not possible to speed up for down speed a processor card ???

What is to speed up for down speed?
Or did you mean: to speed up *or* down speed a processor card?

This way the sentence would make sense to me.
If so, I don't think you're right. It should be possible to put a Dual-1 GHz
from a QS2002 into any QS2001 as it should be possible to put a Dual-800 MHz
from a QS2001 into any QS2002.
But… yes, I remember reading something about an incompatibility here. But I
don't know why.

So, the question still remains: why? (can't I put a QS2002 Dual processor into
a QS 2001 and vice versa?)

Anyway, I think it is well possible to change the speed of the processor card.

> On uniprocessors, it is sometimes possible to change the speed
> through adjustment of certain jumpers, which usually means removing
> or adding a resistor, possible a "zero ohm" resistor (i.e., a jumper).

Not only on uniprocessors:
http://power-mac-g4.com/g4clockup.html

Apparently you can also overclock a Dual-450 from a GE.
And from what I've read somewhere (no link at hand) people are also
overclocking their Dual-1 GHz machines…