On Nov 9, 2010, at 7:39 AM, Peter Haas wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:10 AM, Jim Scott wrote:
>
>> Nope, it's the sound (and soon to be the smell) of the flyback transformer's
>> death throes.
>
> Indeed so.
>
> The AIO needs a new analog board, which is essentially the heart and soul of
> the Trinitron monitor.
>
> Which is perhaps one reason NOT to get an AIO.

It is possible to replace the flyback transformer. I've successfully replaced
many that had begun exhibiting symptoms of death. I've also replaced a few in
which not even a new flyback transformer could save the analog board, which had
other damaged components. Google Bluestar International to find a new flyback.
However, the real question is, "Is it worth a gamble of $40 or so to try to
save a Mac this old?"

Another reason NOT to get an AIO is that the beasts weigh 60 pounds. Apple was
nice enough to build in two hand grips so you could lug one around. But after
following all the ergonomically correct lifting procedures, and wearing a back
brace, I still managed to wrench my back a couple of times lifting them. I'll
never wrestle with an AIO again, thank goodness. (I now cringe every time I
have to move an eMac, which weighs 50 pounds, doesn't have built-in hand grips,
and has a slick plastic case. Boo!)

But the best reason NOT to get an AIO, other than as a hobbyist's trip down
memory lane, is that they are obsolete and not worth the effort. Video RAM
begins at 2 MB and ends at 6 MB after an upgrade, for example. Try that on
today's web sites.

RIP, AIO.