At 15:35 -0800 11/9/10, Peter Haas wrote:
>However, ANY repairs on a CRT's analog board must, necessarily, be  effected
>by well-trained personnel.

Remembering that good advice. . .

It's possible, given the really possibility of bad storage by the previous
owner, that you might luck out and need only to clean the wire that runs from
the flyback to the picture tube. A layer of partially conductive crud on the
high voltage insulators or on the back surface of the tube can make the
intermittent sparks you report.

You DO need to discharge the tube though.. Unplugged from the wall for a week
should do it. Personally I use a long metallic probe with a ground lead to the
spring that usually grounds the carbon coating,  "aquadag", on the tube to the
metal of the computer box. I made the tool from an old long  screwdriver with a
plastic handle and a clip lead. The procedure is to slide the grounded tool
under the rubber cap that covers the connection to the tube in a way that makes
contact with the center wire. If you're the slightest bit uncomfortable with
that go for two weeks to get things discharged or find a friend who has done
it. (I'm probably biased a bit.  I did my thesis with a 200,000 volt
accelerator.)

Cleaning with some dry alcohol or even soap and water with a good rinse is
pretty easy. Let it dry well and test.  You might luck out.  If not, it is the
flyback, or possibly a cracked tube, and not worth fixing.

--
--> If  it's not  on  fire  it's  a  software  problem. <--