On Nov 9, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Tina K. wrote:

> On 2010/11/09 10:11, Jim Scott so eloquently wrote:
>> It is possible to replace the flyback transformer.
>
> I'm not familiar with a Power Mac AIO, is it similar to a G3 iMac? If so,
> isn't there a potentially large jolt of current waiting to shock someone if
> they don't discharge it first?

It's the Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One, and it is similar to the
first-generation G3 iMac, except it has a bland beige case with a perforated
white top that looks like a dental molar, hence the nickname "G3 Molar." It
also has a case of elephantiasis, compared to the 35-pound G3 iMac with similar
specs. Go here to learn more (check out the 266 MHz version too):
<http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_233_aio.html>.

Yes, as with any cathode ray tube powered by a flyback transformer, safe CRT
discharge practices should be observed. My point is that it is possible to
replace just the FBT. I would assume that any prudent person who's a member of
this list would be aware of the dangers of imprudently playing around with
high-voltage devices.

Jim