At 5:07 AM -0800 11/29/2010, Geke wrote:
We're having quite a number of topics in here now, but anyway: I've been asking myself whether it's better to top post or bottom post? My guess is bottom post while deleting from the previous post the part that is not being answered. I'm sure the rules are posted somewhere, but anyone inclined to teach
me?

Bottom posting and trimming is preferred for tech support type threads, as it's the best for maintaining proper context. Top posting is okay for idle chatting. The nannies have given up on policing it, so top posting is now permitted in the rules. IMO, if you want good technical assistance, bottom post and trim. Most of us techies - when we see top posting, we usually just move on to the next message. It's usually just not worth our time to muddle thru top posted stuff to figure out what's what. ...There have been a lot of threads about this. Check our archives if you want.

my Digital Audio (466 MHz G4) has the same problems. Some YouTube videos don't play smoothly and I can forget HD ones. Downloading them improves things only slightly

Flash. ug. (been lots of threads on this list about flash too). I've had some success with this technique: Using Safari, make sure you've got ClickToFlash installed and an ad blocker. The latter ensures that your cpu isn't busy with @#$% animated ads. ClickToFlash will ensure that the youtube flash video is the ONLY one running. If that much doesn't improve playback, then also try telling the streamer to send you lower-resolution video. On youtube, do that by adding "&fmt=5" to the url.

I'm not familiar with bluray, but isn't HD its main purpose? If so, your bluray quality would be reduced to LD by playing it on a 720p TV, I expect.

Blu-ray's main purpose is to get people to re-purchase their videos in yet-another format. :\

The point of the most commonly used codecs on blu-ray is to make it easier for authors to create higher quality content. They seem to be doing that, albeit slowly. heh. I was in a video store the other night... took some time to read labels. LOL The blu-ray titles were more expensive than the DVD versions but most were only 720 - just like the DVDs. Such a deal!

get a bluray drive to build into your Mac? Anyone knows if those exist?

Several companies offer them, and the software to drive 'em. Just not Apple. The best supplier for such, IMO, is Other World Computing. macsales.com

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.