On Nov 30, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Tina K. wrote:

> Speaking of Applejack, does anyone know how to get it to clean user caches
> and check user prefs when the user folder is on a different drive? I've tried
> entering the user name, user number, and file path but it won't accept any of
> them. I asked on the Applejack forum, and submitted a bug report, with no
> response to either.

How did you tell the system that the Users directory was on another disk?  If
you have a symbolic link from /Users/<username> to the directory on the other
disk applejack should work, BUT you have to manually mount the second drive
before you run Applejack, because Applejack only mounts the boot volume.

You'll need to know the device number of the second drive, and where it's
normally mounted (which is probably /Volumes/ )

The device number can be gotten from System Profiler or Disk Utility.

For example my external Time machine disk is: (this is from System Profiler)

TardisToo:
  Capacity:     499.76 GB (499,763,888,128 bytes)
  Available:    43.79 GB (43,788,333,056 bytes)
  Writable:     Yes
  File System:  Journaled HFS+
  BSD Name:     disk1s2
  Mount Point:  /Volumes/TardisToo

the mount command would be (in single user mode)

/sbin/mount -w /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/TardisToo

This SHOULD work.

if you run 'mount' in a terminal window you can also get this information:
(edited to show relevant info)

dbdev2:sbin johnson$ mount
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled) <--- my boot volume
/dev/disk1s2 on /Volumes/TardisToo (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, journaled) <--
my Time Machine volume

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona