At 12:06 PM -0800 12/25/10, Paxton wrote:
 > Ok.  Back-up.  Punt - the work of replacing that internal HDs isn't
 necessary at this point.  Forget all of the above.  Just get an *external*
 firewire hard drive.  Plug it in.  Use Disk Utility to set it up.  Use
 CarbonCopyCloner to clone (backup) the stuff from your internal drives into
 it.  Then BOOT on it.  From that point on, use that external drive!  Use the
 internals as scratch space or something.

I am having trouble finding an external HD and case in my budget. ($40
total). Any idea where to look?

I was able to get a160 gig Sata drive for under $20 but even used
external cases cost more than that.

LEM Swap, eBay, Geeks, Meritline, Cyberguys, Craigslist, Office Despot...

I've often bought used firewire boxes, tossed the old/small HD, and put a new one in.

Don't skimp on the case. You want something with a decent quality power supply and a modern full speed firewire chip...

I keep an eye on the LEM swap list, but again, I am just not quick
enough. (I get it on digest.)

heh. Digests. Like that useless trash compactor in the kitchen... It takes n kilobytes of data and creates n kilobytes of data, that's so old it stinks by the time you move it.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.