Thank you, Clark.

They can work with drives larger than 128Gb but only up to a size of 128Gb (without patches).

So a 160 GB hard drive compatible in other respects would at least work (and be seen as a 128 GB HD) in a Sawtooth Power Mac G4?

Or get a (somewhat) newer PowerMac that does support the larger drives (2002 QuickSilver, MDD or a G5).

Circumstances dictate that any serious money I spend now (or I should say 6 months or so from now) be spent on a new Mac for the sake of getting with the Intel program at last. I wish I could afford an array of older Macs - heck, I wish I still had the 7100 I started out using (sorry, can't remember the prefix - Power Macintosh?) - but for me to move to a newer old Power Mac would have to involve trade somehow, and it's hard to arrange trading what you've got when it's all you have and you need it every day.

And it's [an internal HD as a backup drive] always physically with the computer which means if the computer is stolen or crushed by a tree the drive gets the same treatment.

True. My backup plan wasn't very well thought out.

Sean