(System Profiler shows the graphics card as "ATY"[Rage128Pro] for some reason, though.)

As an aside on an aside, I should clarify that this comment of mine was wonderment that my own system (by way of the app System Profiler) is misspelling what should be ATI. Unless there really such a thing as an ATY Rage128Pro card, perhaps a cheap and ancient Soviet knock- off of the ATI graphics card, miraculously predating the probable existence of ATI cards to begin with. I shouldn't joke. Maybe ATY exists and is well known, what do I know.

So... does "not natively supported" (128 GB+ hard drives) mean "won't work at all without mystery voodoo or maybe even with it"?

Correct - as is, on that bus, the system will only see the first 128 GB of the drive. You'd have to install the hacks to make it support the larger drives to see the whole thing.

But not seeing the whole thing doesn't mean that my Power Mac G4 will refuse to have anything to do with it, right?

Here's something from the Seagate 7200.10 Barracuda description notes:

"This hard drive operates at SATA 1.5Gb/s by default, you must change the jumper settings for the hard drive to operate at SATA 3.0Gb/s. Before doing so please make sure your motherboard can support SATA 3.0Gb/s."

This must be a case of the notes containing information for both versions, because...

Double check that you're getting the ATA version, NOT the SATA version.

Look *carefully* at the model number.

ST3160215A is the ATA version.
ST3160215AS is the SATA version.

... ST3160215A is the model number of the hard drive I ordered.

The Mac's ATA/66 bus maxes out at 66.7 MB/sec, actual throughput is around 80% of that. That's faster than Firewire's 400 Mbps. But... most drives only do half that anyway. Add to that the fact that your Mac is only 450 MHz, in practice booting on a firewire drive shouldn't feel slow at all, IMO.

So it's a choice between an external HD with no complications and an internal one with some complications. The possible advantage the former offers is obvious. The possible advantage of the latter - it seems to me - would be that I end up with (through the PCI card and SATA) with a better Power Mac G4 which becomes itself an external FireWire HD once I have a brand-new Mac, besides being useful for the older operating systems it could run. Practically, I like simple and relatively cheap better. But this older Mac isn't a throwaway to me, and beginning to learn something about tinkering with it, besides straightforward changing of the hard drives, wouldn't hurt. The only time pressure on deciding is how long the hard drives in it now are going to last. The first hard drive failure, of the originally installed one just inside of 2 years, came with no warning whatsoever. So the noise I'm hearing now probably doesn't tell me anything more than "soon." I suppose that's warning enough. Most of the vital stuff is already backed up. Time to finish the job.

Thanks, Dan.

Sean