On Jan 24, 8:58 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:

> I learned this THE HARD WAY, I actually BOUGHT FW800 enclosures
> expecting them to be TWICE AS FAST as my old FW400 enclosures, but
> when I TESTED THEM, they were the SAME SPEED, not because they're not
> CAPABLE of twice as fast, but because you'd need a RAID of multiple
> HDs to saturate the connection. This whole 1.5 Gbps or 3.0 Gbps thing
> for individual HDs is 100% hype. No single HD can sustain anything
> near that rate. Mechanical LATENCY is the reason. It doesn't matter
> how fast the electronics can move bits when the mechanical parts can't
> move equally as fast.

<grinning>   I learned this exact same lesson in the mid-90s.   On
Nubus machines...

I finally had a PPC NuBus machine (8100 clone) and a I got the holy
grail of interface cards, the FWB Jackhammer Fast & Wide SCSI card.
I had an assortment of ST32550 drives, some N (narrow, 50 pin) and
some W (wide, 68 pin).   The 32550 was the latest, fastest Barracuda
from Seagate and was amongst the very first 7200 RPM drive available.

A single ST32550W on the JackHammer really didn't provide any better
performance than a single ST32550N on the built-in busses, even though
the specifications say 20MB/s vs. 10MB/s.   What!   But it should be
so much faster!

Then I built a RAID of four ST32550W on the JackHammer.   I got maybe
8MB/s actual performance out of it.    It was actually faster to have
a RAID of two ST32550W drives than it was to have four of them.

I ultimately found that the fastest RAID was two ST32550Ws on the
JackHammer, one ST32550N on the built-in Fast SCSI bus, and one
ST32550N on the built-in non-Fast bus.   That got me about 12MB/s or
twice what a single drive could deliver.

Anyway, point is, sure the electronics could do 20 MB/s (maybe) but
the drives back then could only output maybe 6 MB/s each and as one
tried to gang those up in a RAID, inefficiencies in the infrastructure
ate up a lot of the potential performance.

Of course, drives today are almost ten times faster (more than?) but
the principles haven't changed a bit.    A 133 MB/s interface doesn't
matter one wit, if the drive can only deliver 70MB/s of data.

Jeff Walther