I have tried this myself a few times trying to mess with kernel extensions
to no avail!!!!  I know there was a linux kernel that would allow you to use
the sleep indicator light to show HDD activity, there might be some info on
it don't know though.  I also read awhile back that there is a key in
Info.plist named intensity so that might be what we are looking for.  If
anyone has any ideas I am more then willing to test out and try on my PB G4
but from all I have looked into it hasn't been done.  I am relatively new to
all the coding mumbo jumbo but like I said I messed around with kernel
extensions and couldn't work it out specifically   If I can find that linux
kernel maybe someone can offer some help or at least point me to a better
forum to help out on that.