I asked my Target mode question because I had been using CCC to do what I
think you want.

Computer A is set up in Target Mode.  Computer B is connected by Firewirw
to Computer A and shows the Computer A startup files as an on-screen image
which can be opened up. for date. I'm able to use CCC regardless of
whether it's a file in Computer A or Computer B;  I can't use CCC to
target to the startup disk on Computer B, but if Computer B has two hard
drives I can use CCC to clone Computer A stuff to one of the 2 computer
B hard drives.