On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Yersinia <yersi...@myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> However, if I was going to sell my hard drives,
> I would definitely 35-Pass erase them first.

Well, if it makes you feel better and you've got the time for it, then
why not? But my purely personal point of view is that it's a waste of
time and electricity.

Seriously, if anyone can post a link or other reference to some sort
of proof (or even plausible allegation) that even a government agency
has the resources & ability to extract data from a modern hard drive
that has been ONE pass erased, I'd love to see it. My understanding is
that the reason for the multi-pass erase scheme's is from fear of a
paranoid hypothetical worst case scenario.  (The IT equivalent of an
urban legend?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure#Number_of_overwrites_needed

The biggest potential threat continues to be for the likely many folks
out there who don't bother to write-erase *anything* when they dispose
of an old hard drive. Just doing a one pass erase of a drive puts you
way ahead in protection from identify theft  or whatever else may
lurking out there. (IMHO, of course.)

-irrational john