On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:59 PM, jason wrote:

Ok.  Got the g5 in target disk mode and in iphoto on the pismo I
clicked File>Export to a folder on the g5.

Popup box said :  Caution.  There is not enough disk space to complete
that operation.

The hard drive on the pismo has 68 gb free and the g5 has 850gb free.
Maybe that's not the kind of disk space that the iphoto is seeing?

I think you're going about this all wrong.

First, jumping from iPhoto 3 to iPhoto 6 seems like a problem. Also, I don't think "Export" is the action you want because iPhoto keeps photos as "originals" and also as any edited modifications you may have done, and when you "Export" a photo it creates another new photo file from the latest modified version. What you want is to transfer your originals I believe?

Here's what I would do:

1)Boot the Pismo in Target Disk mode (hold "t" key at boot) and attach it to the G5 via a Firewire cable. The Pismo HD should mount on the G5 Desktop.

Launch iPhoto 6 on the G5 and go to File>Import and navigate to the iPhoto Library on the Pismo HD and select it to import. This should import all the photos from the Pismo.

If this gives you any error message, try opening the Pismo's iPhoto 3 Library (may need to Ctl-click>Show Contents) and then find the "Originals" folder and drag and drop this folder onto your iPhoto 6 icon, or your open iPhoto 6 application window on the G5. This should "Import" all these "Originals" from the Pismo onto the G5's iPhoto 6 Library.

When done importing, eject the Pismo HD and search your iPhoto 6 library for any duplicates.