On Mar 17, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Alex Barnes wrote:

Why does anyone care about rich text/plain text.

People that care use correct grammar and punctuation. They also tend to bottom post or interleave their replies because they believe top posting is rude. Bruce has posted a good example of why plain text is preferred.

If your computer can't read rich text then you need to do some serious updates! My PowerBook 1400 can read rich text on Gmail's website!

Sounds like you've done some serious updating if your PowerBook 1400 has a consciousness and can "read". My computers lack consciousness and are limited to dumb tricks like being able to "display" rich text, or synthesize speech from text. I'd love to have a computer that reads. My computer can't even spell very good. I bet if it could read its spelling, punctuation, and grammar would improve, not to mention its sense of humor. It never laughs. I think it may be depressed? Reading would help I'm sure. Where do I get these serious updates?