At 22:53 -0400 3/17/11, Dan wrote:
>At 9:31 PM -0500 3/17/2011, Sean Carroll wrote:
>>A long time ago, I thought the problem with rich text/HTML mail (synonymous
>>terms?)
>
>Rich text is text marked up with HTML.

Practically true so long as the discussion is limited to mail;  Two possible
misconceptions:

1:  There was once an RFC about rich text procedures for mail. It wasn't used
much and was nothing like HTM but it was called "Rich Text". I haven't seen it
in 26 years.

2:  There is a format for word processing called RTF - Rich Text Format. It
pretty much belongs to Microsoft having been introduced to support the BASIC
programming language before there was a Macintosh. MS WORD uses it in a  "newer
and better" version that last year's which is used by Apple's TextEdit..app.
That RTF has nothing to do with HTML for the web and is never used in email
except, perhaps, as the format of an attachment.

--
--> Give me liberty or give me Obamacare <--