The original idea of rich text was that it would support only simple markup, a limited number of tags. Then, as I understand it, MS got involved and suddenly it was full-on HTML with all sorts of MS specific malformations and such.

Aha. (Thanks for the other clarifications as well.)

Now I'm wondering if there are email clients that allow for much more selective control of how messages are displayed, and if not, why not. More selective than all or nothing in terms of HTML. If this can occur to me in 2011 (along with vague ideas of how it would be done and images of a "Nuke smileys and other graphics" checkbox), it must have occurred to someone wiser a long time ago. I do seem to recall that Outlook Express in OS 9 gave you customizable viewing options that Mail doesn't, though that's not near the extensive control that I'm sure must be possible. Well, I'm not entirely sure, because if it was possible... wouldn't we all be using such an email client already? So I wonder what the obstacles are.

Sean