----- Original Message ----
> From: Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>

> On May 26, 2011, at 5:31 PM, glen wrote:
>
> > Sooo, the QUESTION: is  there any Mac software that will sniff out  the
.tiff
> > docs and send  them to my high speed commercial digital copier and allow me
> > print  the 3000 pages without having to open each tiff file separately to to
> >  print it. Or is this just another Mico$oft  "I got'cha".
>

> tiff  files are not "microsoft" files. You can use the OS X command line to
>achieve  this.
>
> see  <http://www.mcelhearn.com/2004/12/08/printing-from-the-command-line/>
>
> Yes  you should be able to do what you want; but it will take some unix
> chops.

>The  find command is your friend.
>
> So the concept is 'find all the files like  *.0001- *.0300 on the CD' and
> send

>them to the lp command specifying the  high-speed printer.'
>
> the find command should be able to do this.   Hopefully someone with better
>unix command-line skills can manage  this.

Yes the "Find Command"!

I did not need to use command-line -- one day I will need to learn more unix.

I just used the Cmd-F in Finder. The first six letters of all the files to be
printed are the same and unique. The

result was a list of 3431 subfolders and 3431 .tif files (one in each
subfolder). Why does commerical M$ scanner software put each scan in a
subfolder
-- ahh, never mind it's M$.

Then I refined the search from Kind->Any to Kind->Images and that gave me a
list of the 3431 .tif's. Now I can select as many files as I want to print by
clicking on the first and scrolling down the list while holding the shift and
clicking on the last. Or I could hit cmd-A to select all 3431 files -- didn't
do
that.

Then I dragged the selected batch into the desk top printer Icon and they print
away in the

background. I could still use Mac DA for all other work or browsing or checking
emails. Wow!

Also switched commercial digital copier/printers from a B/W Canon IR8070 to a
color IRC3220 (in B/W mode) with a faster RIP this increased speed to 4
prints/min. Generally these machines produce 30 to 80 copies/min but these
small
(60kb) .tif scans really slow things down. Of course I could use both machines
at the same time but really needed to keep one available for other work.

Most multi-page documents (.pdf's or even M$ Word docs) print at the usuall 30
to 80 page/minute even if they large color files. I wonder why these small B/W
.tif scans take so long? Oh well got 1200 pages printed today only 2200 more to
go :-).

And worked out a deal with the law firm on cost, so I'm good.

Thanks Bruce, --glen