On Jun 2, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Austin Leeds wrote:

>  I can probably stand the noise (I prefer noise to deafening
> silence)

As an old IT guy let me tell you that that doesn't work in the long run.

Seriously. We were stuck in a small office 3 of us and between 4-15 servers and
two large SCSI RAID boxes and we're all suffering some level of hearing losses
and/or tinnitus. Our new office has all the servers off in another room that we
spend as little time in as possible.

As much as you don't like deafening silence, believe me, you'll miss it when
there's a constant high-pitched noise going on in your head that you can't ever
get away from. Tinnitus isn't a joke; people have killed themselves over it.

I'm lucky that most of the time my case is low enough "volume" that I can
mostly ignore it.

Put the XServe off in another room and use it via Remote Desktop.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona