Hi Austin

I'm using an XServe G5 2ยท0 GHz single processor as a desktop machine, running Leopard client. (It came with 10.3 server but I wanted Leopard for TimeMachine and didn't need server capabilities. To be honest I just wanted the coolness of having my own XServe/shiny Apple joy, although learning how to set up server stuff would have been a bonus.)

It's a bit slow but it does the job - mostly. It does need a decent video card (yet to be purchased) - without it games just lead to black screens of death. Also, even though I've built a cage to hold it on the side of my desk which diverts some of the fan noise away from me, it's still distractingly noisy.

IIRC, G4 takes 4 PATA disks, while I know the G5 takes 3 SATA disks. Mine came with a CD-reader but I've swapped that for a laptop CD/DVD reader. There may be limits on the total drive capacity:
- G4, everymac.com says 'up to four 180 GB ATA/100 hard drives'
- G5, everymac.com says 'up to 750 GB of storage with three 250 GB SATA hard drives'. However, XServe dealers who serviced my XServe say up to 3 by 1TB is feasible.

Overall, if you can find a way of dealing with noise (maybe put a wall between you and the XServe, then look for long keyboard, pointer, monitor cables and a big masonry drill - or just put an ethernet connection to your switch/hub and control it via your normal quiet desktop machine), want a high capacity machine that can support several drives and looks pretty cool, I'd go for the G5.

However, you may find a Mac Pro quieter - and it has capacity for up to 4 drives, already will have a working video card.

Finally, as I'm sure you've realised, G5s are limited to Leopard.

Hope this helps

Bruce