All things considered, I would go with the Mac mini if it wasn't as
expensive. I've seen some really inexpensive working Xserves ($200-
$300) on eBay and thought that might be the better route.

I've seen the XRAID units (empty) for $99. Do they need any additional
parts (other than HDDs and caddies) to get them going?