Maybe I don't know enough to recognize the problem, but I use one drive for multiple G4 computers running Mac OS 9.2.2 all the time.

One G4 computer is used as a Server to which the drive is physically connected by firewire or USB.

Then several G4 computers and multiple LaserWriter 16/600 printers are connected through Ethernet to the Server.

The Server's File Sharing is turned on so all the other computers can communicate with the server and they use TCP/IP to communicate. All the computers can select whichever printer they want to use too.

Thus not only can the Server access and use the drive on the server but the other computers can access and use that drive at the same time, they just can't access the same document at the same time but CAN access the same file folder at the same time so long as each opens different documents in the folder.

Each computer has its own applications folder, but by keeping data files on the drive attached to the server whether they are generated by the server or one of the remote G4 computers, only that drive needs to be backed up to assure all the data from all the computers are backed up at the same time.

You can even have the server's internal drive partitioned, which makes each partition function like a totally distinct drive. Thus one partition can be the one containing the server's system folder and the other partition can be used as a data drive. Then set the server to allow access to that partition being used as a data drive and all the other computers can access it to read and write documents to it.

I seem to recall even using my MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.8 on the network to share the drive too.

Mike Bauchan