On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Geke wrote:

> To not confuse you further, I’ll try and focus on the main topics ;-)
>
> Firewire was designed for connection to one computer only: it is not a
> network. Daisy-chaining means that you can connect a second harddisk,
> a scanner, camera, or other device (not computers) to the first one,
> for example if the computer has only one Firewire port, or simply for
> nicer cabling.

Incorrect.  Firewire WAS designed for connection to many devices, including
multiple computers, simultaneously.  FW is used extensively in video work where
many devices all share the connection.  The Mac OS is NOT designed to share
disks via a local peripheral interface.

You can in fact connect multiple Macs together via FW as an IP network (I've
done it).  It's useful in cases where the Ethernet interfaces are limited to
100MBPS and you want to transfer data faster than that.  But in this case  you
shouldn't have any drives connected to the FW connection.

> That is something you can do with your Firewire drive: Connect it to
> the 10.4 Mac and set it up for sharing. Then you can connect to the
> harddisk over the network from the Mac running 9.2.2 by logging in to
> the 10.4 Mac.
>
> Why you can’t connect the other way around could have something to do
> with the different versions of Appletalk software in different OSes,
> but I don’t really know.

It's because OS 9.2.2 has an AppleShare over IP client but not server and OS
10.4 only supports AppleShare over IP, client and server.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting