By "will not work" I meant "will not mount" when connected through the USB hub. The only activity is a repeated chirp and a flashing yellow light at the back of the drive. I've tried a different USB cord to connect it, but that makes no difference. The drive mounts normally when connected directly to the computer (not through the keyboard ports), and Disk Utility reports all is well with it. The power supply is not making any noises, is not overheating, and does not smell funny.

The drive was reformatted before use and never gave any trouble until this recent hiccup. I normally left it connected all the time, as I put the computer to sleep every night instead of shutting it down completely.

The only other USB devices I have are an HP LaserJet P1006 printer and an HP DeskJet D1415 printer plus an assortment of USB flash drives. All of these function normally, regardless of the port on the USB hub they are plugged into, whether the hub is powered or not.

System Profiler reports the following about the built-in USB:

Host Controller Location:       Built In USB
  Host Controller Driver:       AppleUSBOHCI
  PCI Device ID:        0x0019
  PCI Revision ID:      0x0001
  PCI Vendor ID:        0x106b
  Bus Number:   0x19

A USB 2.0 card, however, sounds like a good idea. Where do I get one?

Michael McMurtrey
Carrollton, TX