Isn't it because the ISO should an CD-ROM format, such as Rockridge, or Joliet, or ISO 9660, and not a file format that is used on hard drives? I have created many useless CD-R drink coasters while trying to burn an ISO to a CD-R disc, because MacOSX often mistakenly asks if I want to burn the "Contents" of the ISO image to the CD-R, instead of burning the ISO image on to the CD-R and I forget that doing it that way does not create a CD-ROM that can be read on other computers. When I use OSX's Disk Utility and burn the ISO image to the CD-R, I get a CD-ROM that can be read on any computer.

Hope this helps.  (from the new guy, AmigaDave)

On Nov 3, 2011, at 6:58 PM, slvrmoonti...@yahoo.com wrote:

It probably giving that error because Macs can't read MS-DOS. Can you use the -fs option for FAT or FAT32?

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
Sender: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:43:23
To: Macintel List<macin...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Subject: hdiutil help

I'm trying to write a script that turns a zip file into a Windows- mountable ISO file, and my sticking point is the hdiutil command creating the disk image.

hdiutil create <image_name> -format UDTO -srcfolder <source-folder- path>

Works. It creates a .cdr (aka .iso) file with the contents of the source folder. However the resulting disk image is formatted with a HFS+ file system, so when you try to mount the .iso file on a wondws machine (or the disk made by burning it) Windows claims it's corrupted and unreadable.

hdiutil has a -fs option allowing me to choose MS-DOS as the file system but trying that results in an error:

mount_msdos: /dev/disk2 on /Volumes/TEST: Operation not permitted
/sbin/mount failed with error 18176

However, it seems to continue to make the disk image.

Anyone know why it' spitting out that error?

(and before you suggest it:

No Toast is not an acceptable solution, nor is using Disk Utility, this has to be managed on a regular basis by a user who just wants to stick some stuff in his windows Access database (yes, I'm writing a Mac utility to create an ISO so Access can use it in his Windows VM)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml