On Nov 4, 2011, at 1:11 PM, Valter Prahlad wrote:

Il giorno 4-11-2011 15:34, Len Gerstel ha scritto:

My plan is to install
the HD for the G5 into my DA (with a SATA card) and just clone my DA
HD onto it.

I had the same situation (OSX 10.4.11 from G4 DA to G5 2.7) some time ago, asked about it and everybody said "Go ahead, clone it! No problem at all".
And they were right. :-)

That is what I figured. I just wanted to make sure before I started playing with my "new" toy.

Only thing, if you have some app optimized for G4 processors (like
TenFourFox), you better swap it with the G5 version.

But at least I won't have to remember "do I have a 7400 or 7410?"

IMO, the fastest and simplest way to do this cloning, is thru Firewire
Target disk mode: just connect the two Macs with a Firewire cable, boot the
receiving (target) Mac holding down the "T" key, and do your cloning.
No need to move HDs around. :-)

Tough call. I like mucking around and straight to SATA will be faster than Firewire 400. I could show off how cool the 10 year old Target Disk Mode feature is, but the coolness will be lost on the people that will be around to see it.

I was mostly concerned about pci-x and the fan controls. I don't know if I am getting a hardware test disk with it.
Len