Il giorno 7-11-2011 4:37, Jonas Ulrich ha scritto:

> I was just about to say the same thing. Especially since you can get a dual
> 2.0GHZ+ G5 PowerMac for as low as $200 or so. Last time I checked anyway.

BTW, for anybody pondering between upgrading their G4 or buying a G5
instead, here's my experience.

- I had a PM G4 DA, originally 667 MHz, upgraded with an OWC 1,4 GHz CPU.
1,25GB Ram, GeForce Ti 4600 128MB video card, OSX 10.4.11.

- Now I'm using a PM G5 2.7 DP
6 GB Ram, Radeon 9650 256 MB video card. OSX 10.4.11
(I just cloned the G4 HD)

Well, the difference is noticeable. Sometimes is even huge. :-)
- While on the G4 OSX has always felt sluggish, and web surfing (Firefox,
TenFourFox) was somehow slow and often not responding, on the G5 OSX feels
finally smooth (still not as smooth as OS9, alas... ;-) and web surfing is
now responsive and pleasant.
- I can run the Prey videogame (quite intensive) at the most eye-candy
(sometimes slow but fully playable).
- Producing a 180MB, 212 pages high resolution PDF from Adobe InDesign CS3,
took about 50 minutes on the G4; on the G5 it takes just 20 minutes! :-)

So, if you feel the need to upgrade but you can find a reasonably-priced G5,
the choice is quote obvious.

Mind you, the G4 was a fine machine and it served me well... I loved it, and
enjoyed it for 7 years.
Still, some heavy loads like Adobe CS make it huff and puff...
It all depends on what you do; before using InDesign, I didn't really feel
the need to upgrade. But now I'm happy I did. :-D