Mind you, the G4 was a fine machine and it served me well... I loved it, and
enjoyed it for 7 years.
Still, some heavy loads like Adobe CS make it huff and puff...<<<

I think the problem with the G4s was a barely adequate supporting chipset with a low FSB and memory access speeds. The G5 overcame those problems and the computer felt/was much faster than the G4s.

Have a Dual 1,42GHz FW800 and a 1,5GHz PowerBook G4 and, under a standard load (web surfing, document editing, a bit of PowerPoint for work) they don`t feel much different running Leopard. Of course, the desktop have more RAM available which can make a difference when working with large files or with many open programs.

Gorka