On 15/11/11 8:21 AM, Bruce Godfrey wrote:
dc, do you have any data on how much difference a fast SCSI drive makes
in a MDD or similar G$ Mac?  I just installed one and I have used Disk
Speed Bench X to test the transfer speed.  I find 80MB/sec.  My original
IDE Hitachi Deskstar on the ATA100 bus is only moving about 50MB/sec.
However, another WD drive on the same ATA 100 bus is also moving 80MB/sec.
I was hoping the 15K U320 SCSI drive would easily beat a good IDE drive,
but that does not appear to be the case.  Is it maybe the kind of test
Disk Speed Bench X performs?
Bruce, I wished you'd seen my thread here on getting the most out of a G4. In there I'd proposed using SCSI disks and I think it was pharmacy Bruce who pointed out that I won't be getting much out of it.

I think I'm known here as one of the dinosaurs who refuse to buy newer and better machines simply, for example, to be able to watch YouTube videos. So, I've come to accept that my macs are being "programmed" out of some websites and applications, and have stopped trying to "deprogram" them. I reckon there will come a time when text edit would be the champ on a G4, if I want to stay with OS X.