On Dec 20, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Kris Tilford wrote:

On Dec 20, 2011, at 4:09 PM, JohnV wrote:

I have had confusion telling just WHAT it is, aside from a 2.0 gHz machine with 8 memory slots.

It appears likely that it's a Late 2005 since this was the only model of 2.0 GHz G5 to have 8 RAM slots. I believe this means you've got a single CPU with dual core. To be certain, there should be a grey label inside below the lower edge of the clear plastic cover along the metal of the case. This should have the serial # in VERY TINY print. You can type that serial # into this website to get EXACT information on your Mac:
<http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/>

Great... this is very cool and while I have mostly found the same info you say, that 8 slots came later... this one is apparently April 05

Serial number: G851467HQPM
Name: PowerMac G5 (June 2004)
Model: g5_june_04
Group1: PowerMac
Group2: G5
Generation: 2
ModelCode: g5_june_04
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
Model introduced: 2004
Production year: 2005
Production week: 14 (April)
Production number: 7191 (within this week)
introduced test: GOED
CPU speed: 2.0GHz
Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
Factory: G8 (USA)

thanks for teh power suply help

Finding a replacement power supply might cost more than a whole used G5?

so it seems, on the other hand, if $50-100 keeps this piece of aluminum working hard and out of a trash heap, that's a Win right?