On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:43 AM, arichic...@gmail.com wrote:

> Some of you may recall, i had a few macs crash on me all at once. My
> iMac G4 lost video for some reason. Anyway, I hooked up the iMac G4 to
> my G4 DA through an ethernet crossover cable for 2 reasons:
>
> 1. I'd like to try to recover as much data off the imac as I can
> 2. I'd like to upgrade the DA to Tiger. The DA only has a cd drive
> while the imac has dvd, so i'd like to do a network upgrade

Just get a DVD drive for the DA, probably cheaper than screwing around like
this...you can get 'em really cheap nowadays.

<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-SH-S182-DO-R&cat=DVD> move fast
this is a DVD DL +/- drive for $22.
<http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-GH22LP21-DO&cat=DVD> has
Lightscribe and is $27. Post a wanted note in the Swaplist you'll probably get
a read only drive very cheap.

Otherwise, connect the iMac to the DA via FW target mode not via ethernet, that
way there will be no issues of ownership or permissions.

Also I don't recall, but you MIGHT be able to see the DVD drive in FW target
mode if there's a disk in it. If so you can use that to upgrade the DA.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona