On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:57 PM, arichic...@gmail.com wrote:

The files that I did move over, came over read-only. About 30 folders,
thousands of files. I can change permissions individually, manually
via Get Info, but is there a way to change them all with a fewer set
of commands, even through Terminal?

The freeware app BatChmod is a drag & drop GUI for changing ownership & permissions on large scale. Place all the folders & files into one folder, and drag it into an open BatChmod window, set the correct ownership & permissions, check the box "Apply to enclosed folders and files" and hit the Apply button, you're done.

The DA was able to see the DVD drive on the imac even through the
ethernet cable. However, when I tried to run the installer, it said
can't install this software on this computer.

If the iMac is Intel, that's the problem. There are two separate versions of Tiger 10.4, a PPC version and an Intel version. They are not interchangeable, you'll need the correct version of the installer disc. Leopard 10.5 is "universal" and installs on both PPC & Intel Macs from a single common installer disc.

If I remove the hard drive from the imac and plant it in the DA, I'd
assume there would be no ownership issues or problems accessing the
files, correct? Seems immensely difficult to get to that hard drive,
though. I am trying to work with these older macs spending as little
as possible on upgrades and so forth, so I'd prefer to just get Tiger
on the DA without sourcing a one use only dvd drive.

You should be able to use the HD from the iMac without issues. Normally using a Firewire cable would be preferable to an ethernet cable since you're supposed to be booted into the installer disc to install. To do this using a Firewire cable, place the installer DVD for the G4 into the DVD drive of the iMac, and then reboot the iMac into Firewire Target Disk Mode by holding the "T" key at startup. Connect the iMac to the already booted G4 using a standard Firewire cable. You should see the installer DVD icon on the Desktop of the G4. You can double-click the "Install OS X" icon in the Installer DVD and it should reboot itself into the installer DVD and guide you through the installation.