----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Video card B+W 450
Date:    Friday, 02. March 2012
From:    john <drkeenan...@gmail.com>
To:      "G-Group" <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
> Hi, I'm quite satisfied with my Smurf, except for the video.  I just
> replaced the 8mb card with a 32mb radeon.  Disappointed that youtube
> videos are still spotty and halting.  Would 50 bucks for a 128 card
> solve the problem?  I know upgrading the whole works might be
> reasonably affordable, but kinda like the Smurf for the time being.
> Oh, while I'm thinking of it, can someone tell me if 128 is the max
> for It?
> Thanks, John

I don’t think that there is anyting you can do to make it better on the
hardware side, because I *think* that the main factor is the processor speed.
A Smurf, or, as I call mine: “Yosemite”, is simply too slow to decode YouTube
videos.

I doubt that there’s a hardware decoder involved… But then, I don’t know for
sure…

YouTube through HTML5 i.e. WebM using the AltiVec-optimized version available
through TenFourFox – thanks for TenFourFox! – is even on a fast G4 at its
limits. My Quicksilver G4 with Dual-800 MHz has problems to show YouTube
without occasional stutter.

As already pointed out, MacTubes may be better, but I also doubt it will work
on a G3 with less then 800 MHz.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250