At 20:00 -0800 3/7/12, Wayne Stewart wrote:
>According to iStat pro I'm running 2 degrees Celsius hotter at idle
>with both processors running. Using CHUD tools to turn on nap dropps
>my idle temp about 20 degrees C.
>At 1.5ghz there wasn't any problems. 1.58 is new to me so I'll be
>keeping an eye on the temp. If I get worried I'll see about adding an
>extra fan. One thing I may do anyways is pull the plastic grill off
>the back of the G4. It covers up a lot of the rear air holes.
>
>On Mar 7, 10:38 am, "Jesse St.John" <jesselorenstj...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> how are you effectively cooling these as my mdd runs relatively hot
>> already? and i would lke to do this but i am  a  chicken and i dont
>> want to ruin a good thing. i witnessed online a gentlemen who showed
>> me the resistors on the cpu chip itself to adjust, but decided not to
>> do it until i had one myslef to try out.

Something about overclocking and temperature that is a bit difficult to find
information on:

Faster processors typically use a phase locked loop internally to multiply the
applied clock frequency by a small integer - less than 100. I donno about G3
and G4 but anything running over a GHz internal  is that way. It's just too
hard to deliver a GHz clock to a pin on the circuit board.

They also contain internal temperature sensors that can have microcode access
that allows for changing the multiplying integer.

When the chip gets too hot it can be automatically slowed down without  telling
you about it. The external clock, the one you're mucking with using changed
components need not change at all.

When you ask software a question like "what is my frequency?" you really need
to find a standard clock somewhere that can be used for comparison. Options are
things like GPS, WWV, a rubidium standard you purchase for more than you paid
for the computer. Otherwise the computer will assume the comparison is to be
made from what it thinks is its clock frequency. Time of day from the NNTP time
transport protocol is not likely to be good enough.

--
-->A flashlight: is a metal tube used to store dead dry cells. <--