OK. I tried that. Yes, the next selected email doesn't "open" but it is selected. Is it really not open or we just cant see it open?

This is a partial solution.  Thank you.

On May 10, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Jim Scott wrote:

On May 10, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Baldassare Guzzo wrote:

PM G4 933 and Mail 3.6. Is there any way that Mail will not select the next message after deleting a message? In other words, if you open Mail then select a message and delete it, Mail automatically goes to the next message (and it is now "read"). Can I stop it from selecting the next message?

The only way to stop Mail from selecting the next message and thus opening it is to double-click the horizontal divider bar between the list of e-mails pane and the pane for the currently selected e-mail below it. This action moves the divider bar to the bottom of the Mail box and thus allows you to delete any and/or all e-mails while avoiding opening any. It's a perfect way to delete spam messages without opening them or causing Mail to mark e-mails after the deleted messages as "read." To restore the divider bar to its "normal" position, simply double-click on it after you've deleted messages.

This is a neat way to avoid inadvertently letting a spammer know their message has been sent to a "live" e-mail address since most spam reports back to the sender as soon as an e-mail is opened. I use it all the time to delete suspected spam as well as e-mails Mail marks as Junk.

-- Jim Scott

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml