On Jul 21, 2012, at 3:51 PM, Mac User #330250 wrote:

The reason might be that my AGP Graphics has a ATI
Rage 128 graphics card whereas I use a nVidia GeForce2 MX400 in the Cube.

I don't think the graphics card is the reason. Old unsupported iBooks with a rudimentary 4MB Rage 128 card will boot 10.4.11 or the developer version of 10.5 without any issues other than a line in the system log saying "unsupported graphics card".

My guess is that this might be the reason why I see a “Mac OS X Server
starting” message and shortly after that a gray screen and that’s it for more
than 10 minutes.

Use the verbose boot flag and see what the hang is, Cmd-v at startup for one-time verbose; or for every-boot verbose, boot into Open Firmware with Cmd-Opt-o-f keys at startup and type the command: setenv boot-args -v