Sent from an iPhone, don't ask whose.

On Oct 3, 2012, at 12:20 AM, Rock <rockie5...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are measuring Direct Current, yes. But you are measuring Alternating
> Current so you have to multiply the Volt-Amps by .707 to get the actual power
> developed. Volt-Amps are useful in determining circuit breaker ratings.

No, you multiply Peak volts OR amps to get RMS (provided the waveform is a pure
sine wave).

Volts times amps is watts IF they are in phase. Purely resistive loads are in
phase but complex loads, which include Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) are
not. For SMPSs the VA is higher than the Watt value.

To understand it a little, take for example a capacitor across the AC line. The
voltage and current are ninety degrees out of phase. That is, when the current
is at a maximum, the voltage is zero. So no actual power is consumed, hence it
draws zero watts even though it is drawing some amount of VA. In engineering
terms we call this imaginary power. Watts are a measurement of real power, VA
is a measurement of complex (real and imaginary) power.