I bought that 9800 for a friend's G4 466mhz Tower and never used it because I couldn't flash the rom... I maxed the ram, put in a 250G 7200rpm HD (only reads 128G) and a new DVD super drive and installed Tiger. They had this 23" monitor for it and I just left the orig video card in it. I had to boot it up 3 or 4 times till the res was all the way up to it's max..? This was about 2 yrs ago and it's still working pretty good with no problems... So this left me wondering why so many put this 9800 in them??? Maybe someone here can tell me why they even use this 9800 card? When I go back to NC to visit them I'm going to download Leopard on it for them...

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael McMurtrey
Sent: Dec 14, 2012 9:10 AM
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Throwing in the Towel

On Dec 14, 2012, at 5:49 AM, Richard Gerome wrote:
> I will hang on to the card and see if it works if I ever get a G5.
There is a version of the 9800 that works on a G4, but they are
expensive and hard to find; I know because I have been looking for one
myself without success. The one card I did find (on ebay) had a
problem (hot, ozone smell and only 128 MB available of the 256 MB
alleged) and was returned to the seller. That's why I finally settled
on a 9600.

A later version of the 9800 worked only of G5s (or so I've been told)
and I'll bet that is the one you have.

Michael McMurtrey
Carrollton, TX

Scars only tell us where we have been, they do not have to dictate where we are going...

“Choose love and peace above all other options.  Commit to the goal of unconditional love and compassion for all life, in all its expressions, and surrender all judgment to God.

--- Dr. David R. Hawkins