I have a G5 Dual Core (2.0) (Late 2005, M9590LL/A, PowerMac 11,2) that has
eight memory slots. EveryMac says that this G-5 is maxed out at 16 GB of
memory. Mine has 8 GB right now (1 GB chip in each slot).

Does that mean that if you put more than 16 GB in the memory slots, it will
only recognize or use 16? I heard that you can sometimes put more memory in
some G5s than Apple claimed was the limit. Is this G5 one of those?

Say I were to put 4 GB chips in four of the slots, I'd get 16 GB of RAM
from those, and there would still be four slots with 1 GB in them. Would
this Mac then recognize 20 GB of RAM, or only 16?

For that matter, what if I filled every one of those eight slots with 4 GB
chips--would the Mac then recognize and use 32 GB?

I'm doing Final Cut video editing with this Mac, and the render times are
awfully slow. I sit for long periods just waiting for the render bars to
fill up, and nothing can be done until they do--the program is frozen. I
could sure get a lot more done if i could speed up that rendering, and some
people tell me that maxing out the RAM helps a lot.

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

---
"G-Group" group.