Ah, 2 X 2 chips = 4 GB. Should have looked closer. Thanks Kris and Peter.
So 16 GB of RAM maxes out this G5.

Still, that would double what I have, and if i were sure that the rendering
times for Final Cut 5 would be significantly reduces, I'd go for it.

I just got a Mac Pro and Adobe CS6, but I have some long-term video
projects going on the G5 with Final Cut 5, so I will be on the G5 for the
foreseeable future. After years of experience, I know how to do exactly
what I want to do in FCP

 5 and do it quickly. The only thing slowing me down is those agonizingly
slow render times. They stop me dead every few minutes.

The Adobe CS6 software I just bought for the Mac Pro includes their video
editing program, Premiere Pro, but Premiere has a learning curve that I'm
just now getting into. Plus, it seems to lack a lot of the features I'm
used to in Final Cut, for example the number of video transitions it offers
is pitiful. Final Cut, for example, has fourteen slide transitions to
Premiere's one, and that's typical. And there doesn't seem to be any
equivalent of Final Cut's Soundtrack, LiveType, etc. Adobe has After
Effects but I'm not sure what it can do, yet.

My new Mac Pro, Intel-based, cannot run my Final Cut 5 program in OS 10.8.
In fact it can't run any version of Final Cut Pro, even Final Cut 7. Apple
abandoned its longtime professional video editor bas when it dumped Final
Cut 7 in favor of an entirely new and different program they call Final Cut
Pro X. Nothing but the name is similar. All the helper programs for Final
Cut that I'm used to--Soundtrack, LiveType, Motion, etc. are gone. As I see
it, Apple dumped the pro editing community in favor of the far larger
market of teenage boys wanting to make skateboard and snowboard videos for
their friends with mobile devices. Apple goes where the money is, customer
loyalty be damned. They did the same thing with iMovie sometime back.

So until I learn a new editing program (NOT FCP-X, which is not
track-based) I'll continue to do video editing on what I know, FCP 5 on my
G5. It was while sitting through one of those long renders, with FCP 5
frozen in the meanwhile, that I began wishing for a way to speed things up.
Doubling the RAM in this G5 might, or it might not. I'm still considering
maxing out the RAM.

Thanks all for the help.

Tom

---