Hi g-listers

My PhD thesis dates from 1996 and was created in MS Word 4 or 5. I've just had
reason to look at this ancient history but can't do so satisfactorily. It
doesn't open in my current version of Word (mac:2011). It will open in
TextEdit: the text appears to be complete, as far as I can see, but the
illustrations and indices to the footnotes (the references*) are gone, and
there's a load of unreadable stuff following the text.
*Chemistry at the time didn't use author-date/inline references.

I can rescue the illustrations: they were created in ChemDraw 3 on one of my
old macs, saved the files as EPS, copied them to my main mac and got the bits I
need in Illustrator CS5. But I want to be sure where each one goes if I have to
rebuild the thesis from the text rescued with TextEdit

So, is there any way of opening the Word file. I have floppy-disk installers
for MS Word 4 but my USB floppy drive won't read them. The hardware I have is
2008 Mac Pro running 10·8·5, with Adobe Creative Suite 5 and 5·5, and Office
Mac 2011.
2010 MacBook Air running 10·8·5 - software as above
Dell mini 10V running 10·6
Powerbook G4 1GHz running 10·5, 10·4, 10·2 and 9·2. The 9·2 installation has
PageMaker 6·5, InDesign 2 and ChemDraw 3
Powerbook G3 Pismo running 10·4·11

I guess the most likely route is to find an old mac with a built-in floppy
drive, then install Word 4 on it. Then I could open the file for the thesis and
use this to rebuild a version in a modern version of Word or InDesign. But I'm
not so keep to buy yet another old mac just for this purpose. Can anyone
suggest anything better, pretty please?

thanks indeed

Bruce

---