A friend's Western Digital WD200 drive crashed. The system BIOS does not
see the drive. This means software won't see the drive either. It is
like the drive motor has burned out or perhaps a voltage regulator has
gone. My question is, does this type of drive failure indicate a
possible bad circuit board part? Are there parts on the drive I might
try replacing just to see if I can bring the drive to life just long
enough to get the data off it? I have a small lab here and I'm able to
solder surface mount and/or through-hole parts as needed.

If a consensus emerges that this is a practical idea to try...my next
question is can I get replacement circuit board components from the
drive manufacturer? If not the manufacturer, what is a good alternate
source? Mouser? Digi-Key?

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA