I did indeed get two WD200BB-75DEA0 hard drives from an Ebay seller.
After Googling for photos on how to replace the existing circuit board
with a donor board and going out to Home Depot to buy a Torx screwdriver
set in various sizes (I needed a T-8 size), I swapped in board #1 and
plugged the hard drive into my test machine. The test machine, though,
didn't detect ANY IDE devices, including the DVD drive. I spent too much
time on that before moving to a second test machine. The BIOS on that
machine paused for a long, long time and then issued a message stating
it couldn't detect a hard drive, press F1 to continue. I did and I saw
the following text listed for the primary IDE master: WD204BB

I then removed the "patient" drive (the one I'm trying to rescue) and
plugged in the second of the donor drives to see if it can be detected
by the BIOS. This time there was no lengthy pause from the BIOS during
POST and I saw the following text listed for the primary IDE master:
WD200BB-75DEA0 which is what I would expect to see of a "live" Western
Digital drive.

I swapped in the circuit board of the second donor drive with the
"patient" and got the same result: the text "WD204BB" displays as the
primary master drive in the BIOS screen, and I get a BIOS warning that
no hard drive is detected.

Finally, I reinstalled the donor circuit board to the first donor drive
and test it to make sure it is detected in BIOS. It is detected with the
string WD200BB-75DEA0 as expected. Yes, lesson learned -- test the donor
drives first before swapping boards.

So it looks like circuit board replacement won't fix the hard drive of
interest to me. Is there some other hardware I can replace such as the
drive motor? Is this an operation requiring special tools and great skill?

Thanks

Bob Cochran

Greenbelt, Maryland, USA