Well Galaxians, I have to eat humble pie, kind of.  Mismatches between the
tool's tool_data_table_conf.xml and the actual tabular data were responsible
for the disappearing act, which log rather indirectly alluded to.  Something
that didn't show itself on the dev server.

I'll push for some greater reporting on this though, on the Trello board.  What
I'd like to see is the "View data tables registry" report have its "Missing
index file" column changed to something like "Status" and under that you get to
see "Missing index file" or Bad file - Parse error, 23 lines" etc.

So my apologies to anyone who put some time into this.

Damion