Thank you so much, Jennifer!

Your method is pretty good for filtering the sequences that have "A" at the 10th base position.But I'm sure if it have employed 10 bp complementary criterion? For the antisense, the 5' will be T (in complementary to A). Besides, my library contains other small RNAs. That's why I concern output files of sense and antisense must have 10bp complementary.

Another quick question, in you regular expression, what does "+" mean?

Thanks!

Zhiqiang

Quoting "Jennifer Jackson" <j...@bx.psu.edu>:

Hi Zhiqiang,

Under the tool group "NGS: QC and manipulation" is a tool named "Manipulate FASTQ". To filter for sequences containing an "A" at base position 10 and remove them, use the settings are shown in the attatched .png. Also listed here:

Click on "Add new Match Reads"
Match Reads by: "Sequence Content"
Sequence Match Type: "Regular Expression", using

   ^.{9}A.+

Click on "Add new Manipulate Reads"
Manipulate Reads on: "Miscellaneous Actions"
Miscellaneous Manipulation Type: "Remove Read"

This will result in the antisense reads being placed in the output, minus any antisense that happened to have an A at the 10th base position, which I am not sure is a concern or not.

To output the sense reads, or rather reads with an A at the 10 base position, change the regular expression to be:

The logic is a bit backwards - you are filtering for what you will be removing - the opposite will be in the output.

Hopefully this helps! Peter's advice about aligning to the genome and determining strand/orientation vs known transcripts from the results is mostly likely your second best choice (and more complicated). Tools in "Interval Operation" group will be of help if you go down that path.

Best,
Jen
Galaxy team